A special blog for October Cybersecurity Awareness Month
In an era where data security is paramount, we at Ordr, specializing in comprehensive security solutions for connected devices, prioritize safeguarding customer information as a core mission. One pivotal step Ordr has taken in securing data is earning SOC 2 compliance with a specific focus on Organizational Governance and Structure. I want to use this blog to delve into what our SOC 2 implementation journey means, how we steadfastly uphold our commitment to data security, and the significant benefits this provides to both our internal operations and customers.
Why is SOC2 Critical?
Service Organization Control 2, or SOC 2, is a widely recognized framework designed to assess and report on customer data’s security, availability, processing integrity, confidentiality, and privacy. It is a rigorous set of standards that validate an organization’s dedication to safeguarding sensitive information. By going through the process, SOC 2 certification validates:
- Ordr’s ability to connect people, process, and technology to provide the services continuously.
- Ordr’s ability to provide response during a critical security event.
- Ordr’s ability to provide services in case of failure to the hosted data center with no impact to customers.
Those validations are important to us and for those organizations that put their trust in us. Ordr allows its customers to gain visibility into their complete attack surface. We do this by collecting a wealth of information from the infrastructures where Ordr is deployed. That data is critical for closing visibility gaps and understanding the context of data flows and device operations that allow us to deliver the highest level of security possible. Ordr takes pride in providing these services and makes data security a paramount requirement. We at believe these are core components to any SaaS solution and should be tested once a year to make sure all the above-mentioned factors are in sync.
“[SOC 2] validations are important to us and for those organizations that put their trust in us.“
Our SOC2 Journey
Our SOC 2 compliance journey has been ongoing for the last several years, and each year the scope has expanded. Our commitment is not limited to specific aspects of our operations; it encompasses the entire development process, our entire employee population from onboarding to continuous training, and our customer onboarding and training processes. This comprehensive approach demonstrates our unwavering dedication to protecting our customers’ sensitive information.
- Change Management: Our meticulous change management processes translate to a reduced risk of service disruptions, ensuring the uninterrupted operation of critical services for our customers.
- Risk Management: By systematically identifying and mitigating potential security threats and vulnerabilities using a risk registry, we enhance the safety of our customer’s data and services.
- Vendor Management: Customers benefit from our rigorous vendor management practices, which assure them of the security standards upheld by third-party vendors, going above and beyond merely reviewing vendor certifications like SOC 2.
- User Access Management: Enhanced user access controls mean customer data remains accessible only to authorized personnel, minimizing the risk of unauthorized access.
- Data Storage: Secure data storage practices give our customers confidence in protecting their sensitive information, safeguarding it from breaches and unauthorized access.
- Hiring, Onboarding, and Employee Training: Customers benefit from a workforce that is not only vetted but also continuously trained to uphold the highest standards of security, thus reducing the risk of insider threats.
- Incident Management: Well-documented and tested incident response plans mean that potential security incidents are swiftly and effectively handled, minimizing the impact on customer operations.
- Logical Access: Enhanced logical access controls reduce the risk of data breaches or unauthorized access to customer systems and data.
- Endpoint Security: The bolstered endpoint security ensures that our devices and endpoints are safeguarded against malware, viruses, and other security threats, reducing the risk of service disruptions or data compromise.
- Data Resiliency: This allows Ordr’s service to run from another data center in case of failure to the primary data center and it means we are able to maintain SLA commitments provided in customer contracts.
Our commitment to SOC 2 compliance extends to additional rigorous controls. Every code commit undergoes a security review by an expert separate from the developer and code reviewer, ensuring that security considerations are meticulously addressed. We regularly test data resiliency between cloud locations for seamless failover, and we scrutinize every laptop for compliance with policies like firewall, encryption, and the presence of endpoint detection and response (EDR) and mobile device management (MDM) solutions.
“When done right, with a diligent auditor that is allowed go through every employee, every customer, every line of code, every vendor, the SOC 2 process is more than worthwhile.“
Our auditor, Geels Norton (BTW, highly recommended), is renowned for their diligence in auditing. Instead of reducing scope, we have consistently accepted a broader scope and higher standards by Geels Norton and actively strive to achieve and maintain these elevated security levels.
SOC 2 Does Matter
I am very aware of the ongoing and vigorous debate about the value of earning SOC 2 certification, that it is a waste of time, that organizations are finding ways to water-down the process and that, as a result, the process has become little more than window dressing. We take the opposite view. When done right, with a diligent auditor that is allowed go through every employee, every customer, every line of code, every vendor, the (painful) process is more than worthwhile. It gives an organization the information it needs to beef up controls and quantify its performance. Done right, SOC 2 demonstrates a top-to-bottom commitment to security.
Ordr’s achievement of SOC 2 compliance in Organizational Governance and Structure underscores our enduring commitment to security. We continue to vigilantly monitor our systems and processes, ensuring they comply with SOC 2 standards. Furthermore, we remain steadfast in our commitment to optimizing our security posture, proactively staying ahead of emerging threats, and ensuring that our customers can trust us with the highest level of data protection.